This week’s Family Table comes to us from nutrition consultant and RMB writer Jessi Culyer. Jessi is passionate about helping women and families find their best health through food choices.
I love this recipe because it is simple + gluten-free + soy-free + dairy-free + vegan. Healthy and my 3 kids love it!
Risotto is usually made with arborio rice, but brown rice is healthier and works great…hence the quotation marks. Utilizing the Instant Pot takes away the need to babysit the pot on the stove constantly stirring – ain’t no mom got time for that.
Getting your kids to eat a variety of nutrients isn’t always easy but with this quick risotto hack, Mom wins on nutrition, attitudes, and time.
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1. Remove lid from Instant Pot and press Sauté.
- 2. Heat coconut oil, add onion, salt, and pepper, and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- 3. Add rice; stirring constantly about 1 minute until rice is coated with oil.
- 4. Add ½ cup water and stir until water is absorbed.
- 5. Stir in remaining ½ cup water, squash, and broth.
- 6. Close and lock on lid of Instant Pot making sure pressure is set to “Sealing.” Using “Manual,” cook on high pressure for 22 minutes.
- 7. When timer beeps, use quick release by turning valve to “Venting.” Turn Instant Pot off.
- 8. Use potato masher to mash butternut squash to desired consistency.
- 9. Stir in nutritional yeast, serve, and enjoy!
This recipe was originally published on Jessi’s site where you can go for more information and the option of video instructions.